King Arthur/Working with Words
Find these synonym pairs.
|king||leader of the country|
|to take his life||to kill|
|become husband and wife||marry|
Put in synonyms (words of the same meaning) of the words in brackets!
0. In 1066 the Normans defeated(beat) the English in the Battle of Hastings.
1. The Normans lived several (100 years ago) – they lived in the 10th century().
2. When they conquered England, they built many castles(forts). .
3. So they founded (established) many new towns.
4. Sometimes attackers tried to destroy (break) the gates to storm these forts.
5. The Anglo-Saxons raised and slaughtered (pigs) – but on the menu the meat showed up as pork().
Match the opposites.
|let in||keep out|
|to live||to die|
synonyms & opposites
found (founded), establish
find (found), discover
village < town < city < capital
hut < house < manor < palace
Leader (supreme leader), king, queen, chief (of a tribe), captain (of a ship)
fort, castle, Hadrian's Wall
warrior helmet, armour (Rüstung), shield, sword [sɔːd], battle axe