Finding your place/Piercings

Aus ZUM-Unterrichten
Luis Antonio Aguero and boy.jpg

Piercings are when you make a small hole in your body and put a piece of jewelry in it. While piercings can be a fun way to express yourself, they can also be dangerous.

One risk of piercing is infection. When you get a piercing, bacteria can enter the wound and cause an infection. Signs of infection include redness, swelling, and pain. Infections can be serious and require medical attention.

Another danger of piercing is allergic reactions. Some people may be allergic to the metal in the jewelry, which can cause itching, redness, and swelling. In severe cases, it can cause difficulty breathing.

Piercings can also cause scarring or keloids, which are raised areas of skin around the piercing. These can be permanent and difficult to treat.

It's important to choose a reputable piercing studio that uses sterile equipment and practices proper hygiene. You should also follow aftercare instructions carefully to avoid infection.

Overall, while piercings can be a fun way to express yourself, they come with risks. Make sure you understand the potential dangers before getting a piercing, and take steps to minimize your risk of complications.

  1. What is a piercing?
  2. What are some potential dangers of getting a piercing?
  3. What are the signs of an infection in a piercing?
  4. What can happen if someone is allergic to the metal in their jewelry?
  5. What are keloids, and how are they related to piercings?
  6. What steps can you take to minimize the risks of getting a piercing?
  7. Why is it important to choose a reputable piercing studio?
  8. Why might someone want to get a piercing despite the potential risks?

These questions will help test the reader's understanding of the text and their ability to recall important information. They can be used for individual or group reading comprehension exercises, quizzes, or tests.

Is piercing safe?

I really want to get my tongue pierced. I'm old enough, I've got the money and my parents say it's ok. I'm all set to have it done, but I keep hearing horrible stories and now I'm uncertain. I've heard that it chips your teeth, dints the roof of your mouth, can paralyse your face and can sometimes go so badly wrong that you have to have your tongue amputated! I've also heard that a pierced tongue can make it really difficult to get off with people. Is this true? Should I get it done or not?
BSB fan, 16, Notts

As a doctor, I can only advise against having your tongue pierced. The human mouth is full of bacteria, which can cause nasty infections if they get into the wound. Piercing itself can damage blood vessels in the tongue and cause heavy bleeding, and it has also been linked with Toxic Shock Syndrome. I'm sorry not to be more positive, but if you are having second thoughts, listen to your own common sense and put it off until you've thought it over more fully. If you have any doubts at all, then don't do it!